Would you like a green screen effect on your phone videos?

@All: Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it! Can you detail, what kind of videos would you shoot with it?
- special effects/ FX
- funny stuff/ jokes
- more artsy videos
-...?

@Critics: Yes, it's a difficult problem. In Pro production, real green screens are used for HD output etc. However, there are advancements in research with modern algorithms, actually recognising objects in videos. We believe that, using that, we can achieve a result that satisfies advanced consumer use cases. Most consumers won't make the effort of getting a real green screen - if we could get rid of that and achieve acceptable results, that could open up a whole new set of possibilities.
 
Photobooth on a mac does something similar I think. Personally I think you are. A little hopeful to get anything usable even with the "advancements in modern algorithms". There is an excellent reason why green/bluescreens are used in professional productions - they are the only method that reliably and usably works outside of rotoscoping frame by frame. People pay hundreds of pounds for colour keying plugins - I somewhat doubt you can achieve this with the power and budget of the average consumer. I don't wish to be harsh but bear everything in mind before you embark on a large project with other people.
 
It would definitely be a lot more effective if you were to use it with green screen or any solid color background. From my photoshop experience there are some images that just won't work to be cropped...At least work and look well.
 
Photobooth on a mac does something similar I think. Personally I think you are. A little hopeful to get anything usable even with the "advancements in modern algorithms". There is an excellent reason why green/bluescreens are used in professional productions - they are the only method that reliably and usably works outside of rotoscoping frame by frame. People pay hundreds of pounds for colour keying plugins - I somewhat doubt you can achieve this with the power and budget of the average consumer. I don't wish to be harsh but bear everything in mind before you embark on a large project with other people.

I have rotoscoped a scene frame by frame before and even then couldn't get it to look as clean as I would have liked. So I am extremely sceptical about how accurate this app could be. Also I would never use this app just because I never use a mobile device when I am making content.

If someone made a program or plug in that allowed you to do this with any recording on a computer and it actually worked. I would be all over that product.
 
Photobooth on a mac does something similar I think. Personally I think you are. A little hopeful to get anything usable even with the "advancements in modern algorithms". There is an excellent reason why green/bluescreens are used in professional productions - they are the only method that reliably and usably works outside of rotoscoping frame by frame. People pay hundreds of pounds for colour keying plugins - I somewhat doubt you can achieve this with the power and budget of the average consumer. I don't wish to be harsh but bear everything in mind before you embark on a large project with other people.
Thanks for your constructive critique, I don't think we will replace professional-grade green screen production. High-quality output takes also much more than that in post-production anyways. Trust me when I say that I'm respectful with people's time and I don't stir up something out of thin air. If you have a look around computer vision and some publications over the past years, there's some interesting approaches & good demos out there - good enough for consumer production, and that's what we are after, if there is a demand for it.
 
I have rotoscoped a scene frame by frame before and even then couldn't get it to look as clean as I would have liked. So I am extremely sceptical about how accurate this app could be. Also I would never use this app just because I never use a mobile device when I am making content.

If someone made a program or plug in that allowed you to do this with any recording on a computer and it actually worked. I would be all over that product.
Makes a lot of sense - question for us is who we target. You sound like a sophisticated amateur/ semi-pro type of user, you know your tools & have your desktop-based toolchain in place. You're probably too advanced as a target audience - we'd love to get 'normal' people with nothing but an ipad/iphone into doing more creative things..[DOUBLEPOST=1398855629,1398854887][/DOUBLEPOST]
I already use one on my iPad called FX Studio but if you could bring something new, I'd get it.
Thanks, how did you like it? The sample videos on their webpage epocfield . co . uk are a bit pathetic, aren't they?
 
Back
Top