Video Overlays - YouTube Guide for Beginners

I decided to use small little cartoons to make this a more humerous experience.. I know I'd hate sitting there reading some long boring article about video overlays. Which is the most exciiiiiting topic in the world, I know.

Most people don't see the true benefit of using video overlays, now you're probably sitting there like
wut.png

A video overlay is a short animation or still image. You commonly see these on larger channels, and are actually a very effective way of bringing in new likes/subscribers. The common YouTube viewer isn't to familiar with the true set up of the site, and only see it as a "Click subscribe, watch the video" kind of setup. So you need to kinda give them a friendly nudge to actually do anything.

Most people see this as some big forceful push to subscribe and that it's going to push people away from subscribing/liking etc.
SUBSCRIBE.png

But doing so is more likely to actually get someone to click that little red button, and I've personally seen results from doing so. Before placing my 'Enjoying the video? Smash the like button" overlays I was averaging about 3-5 likes. Now I'm getting about 7-11 on my videos without any major increase in views, meaning that the people who are watching are remembering to like the video.

Here's a few examples of some subtle overlays that I've created and have started using ( feel free to use these as inspiration, but don't copy them directly.. or I'll find you).
q45n.png

To create such awesomeness, one must first have a HD sized image in Photoshop, or whatever photo editing software you have.. Depending on your video dimensions, you can use 1280x720 or 1920x1080. If you vary between the both between different games/vlogs/kitten compilations, just create a 1080p version and scale it down for other videos. You can use something as simple as a rectangular shape with a bit of text on top, as you can see above I utilized a pretty simple design and made it attractive. It was simply a rectangle, with the edge cut off on an angle, and a bit of text with a drop shadow. This makes the text stand out a bit more, and increases it's.. it's.. attractability.

Make sure you delete the background layer once you've finished so they have the transparent background as you can see above (Those tiny squares, they're like.. invisible.. wow).

These are some simple examples of video overlays, and yes.. they do work. I'm sure someone will disagree, and I can also guarantee that the people who do disagree don't use awesome overlays. Like us, people who use overlays are cool and are now part of my group "The Overlay Slayers". You're welcome.

Thanks for reading the article! And best of luck creating more awesome videos! ;D

What software do you use to add images over pictures exactly? I get how to make it, just not how to implement it. I know about VSDC but it's a bit buggy for me.

What software do you use to add images over pictures exactly? I get how to make it, just not how to implement it. I know about VSDC but it's a bit buggy for me.
I'm not sure what you mean.. I created these using Photoshop CS6, and I implement them on Adobe Premiere Pro whilst editing by simpling dragging them into the above video layer.

I'm not sure what you mean.. I created these using Photoshop CS6, and I implement them on Adobe Premiere Pro whilst editing by simpling dragging them into the above video layer.

Yeah, that's what I meant. :)

I guess I'll have to use VSDC.

in sony vegas, I would just drop it above the video or on the video row where I want it to appear.

I never really used overlays before, but after reading this, I actually started using them more! :p
(Do you mind if I show them here @Faptain , so they have multiple examples? :p)

Go for it man! :)
I currently have three different overlays for both channels:
(They're all in one of the two main colours of the channel)
So, the ones for my gaming channel:
448d36362be9dadf5aaff8d145e83acc.png

And the ones for the second channel:
313f9b11db6b3bfa211e7ff16e00c807.png

I use some too, but I made mine in photoshop, and animated them with sfx in after effects. In my latest video you can see them at :42 and :52
I had actually made them a week or two ago and even wrote down that I should make a tutorial on them. Its not super obvious how to create transparent background animations in After Effects, so I still might do it when I run out of other ideas. :)

Back