Show me what you got. Review 4 review

TheManCave

I've Got It
I have some time to burn so let me see what you guys got. I'll be reviewing based on 5 things...

1) Channel Art/Banner
2) Audio Quality
3) Video Quality
4) Overall Commentary Skills
5) Thumbnails

However....Nothing in life is free! The majority of you all want feedback for your channel and never reciprocate. With that being said, I'll review your channel if you review mine first!


Cya
 
I'll try to review your channel like you laid out!

Your banner is nice! Describes exactly what you do and the text stands out nicely from the background!
Audio quality is really good! No weird reverb or feedback and pretty crisp!
Videos are uploaded in 1080p so theres no issue with visual quality, I would say that theres no real need for your face cam in some of your videos as youre not really doing much on it... then again theres not really any harm you putting it in as you make it small, what I would say is perhaps zoom it in a bit so theres not so much space around you!
I like your intro! its short and succinct
your outro is decent, you put thought into it i can tell! but i think it might have a bit too much going on, thats just my personal opinion though. You should add annotations onto your outro to link to other videos you uploaded as well as one over the word subscribe so people can just click on it and subscribe to your channel! It gives them that little nudge to just go and do it ;)
your voice over sounds enthusiastic and thats good! keeps people interested and makes them like listening to you!
finally your thumbnails, they are okay but honestly they wouldnt stand out to me over any other regular gaming channel's thumbnails. It might not work right now but once you pick up a thousand or more subs you might want to add your face onto the thumbnails as it might help your viewers one relate to you more and two itll stand out more, take a look at pewdiepie's thumbnails, his face is plastered all over them and it instantly stands out in a search!

Cant wait to hear what you think of my channel :)
also id like to get your opinion on a new intro and outro I animated that I will be using from now on on new uploads!

 
All I want reviewed in mine is one video called Butthole Doctor (Garry's Mod Murder) I want to know what else can be added to my future montages videos to make them better.

Anyways, Onward to your review

Banner/Logo: By far one of the coolest banners I have ever seen and a really good logo too. Everything looks professionally made.
10/10

Audio Quality
: Good audio quality. You may want to use audacity to edit out some of the umm's and the lip smacking to make it sound even better (It's alright though I don't really do it either ;) )
8.5/10

Video Quality
: Videos go to 1080p so that is always a plus... not sure if this goes with video quality but you may want to make your facecam a little bit bigger. I understand you dont want it blocking most of the game but it is hard to even see your reactions
9.5/10

Commentary
: Not monotone and you have a question of the day to keep in touch with your viewers. Really good commentary.
9/10

Thumbnails
: Constantly changing them is always a good thing that and they look interesting and have what part you are on
10/10

Other Channel Notes:
Description is good shows a lot of links which is also a plus to your SEO. I personally am not a fan of videos over 20 minutes long. I like to keep it in the 13-18 minute range for let's play but that is only a small concern.

Overall Channel Grade: 9/10
 
Ok so first of all....AMAZING CHANNEL!!!! I liked it so much I subscribed! Before I get started on the criteria of the review let me mention a few things I noticed right away before I forget.
1.) On your "How to mould a prop part 1" video. I always thought it was spelled "mold"? Or is that just an American spelling variation? Regardless, just putting that out there in case it is a typo.You don't want a troll criticizing the amazing content of that video for a stupid spelling error. 2.) The lighting on that video is "passable" but it has that orange-y "tint" or "glow" when you use your regular indoor lighting which for me is no problem but your videos are so great I would hate for a know it all YouTube viewer to disregard your content because of your lighting. I honestly think if you invested in some lighting equipment you could take your channel to your next level in terms of quality.
3.) on the intro outro video in your signature. It's really get and I totally dig the retro gaming style (Which just so happens to be "in style" at the moment). However, the intro is a bit long for my taste.I would recommend cutting it to about 7 seconds or less. But that's just me preference so take it with a grain of salt. When people want to see an instructive/educational/informative/tutorial type video, they want to get to the point and quick. I can't tell you how many times I've read comments from viewers saying..."Holy hell, 1 minute before you began the tutorial!!! Shut up and show me how to blah blah blah". The outro is perfect in my opinion.
4.) In your N7 helmet video..When you're basically showing still images in the beginning...Try taking the picture in landscape and not portrait. People HATE seeing black bars. If not possible, use the same image in the background and stretch it out with a "blur/distorted effect" to fill in those black bars/gaps.
5) In the same video, I would recommend using a different font. People pick up on those little things and shows the effort you put into your videos. Because you obviously have a talent and it's just a small touch that I think would pay dividends.

ok now onto the review criteria!

1.) The banner itself looks great! However, I think it doesn't really reflect what your channel is all about. At first glance I would have assumed you have a retro gaming Let's Play channel.
2.) Audio is perfect for my ears. I'm not one of these individuals who put much thought into audio. If I can hear you fine without any background noise...That's good enough for me. The occasional "popping" sounds don't bother me as long as it's not a habitual thing.
3) 1080p, enough said. Although I mentioned the lighting could use some improvement (I'm guilty of this as well) try recording next to a window during the day.
4) You're informative and very knowledgeable when you speak. And you don't have the problem I have with the "ummms" and "ahhhs" so that's a definite plus!
5.) The thumbnails are the only real negative I found with your channel. I would recommend you design some kind of template to use so they all share a common theme. For example, mine is the "comic book" effect. And I notice you like using the "game over" type font which is great. Try to implement that a bit more. If you'd like, I can help you brainstorm and make a few variations and see which ones you like.

I hope this helped and remember...Take what I say with a grain of salt :D
 
Thanks so much for that! I might try to edit down my intro a bit to shorten it from 20 seconds to like 13 or something
I used to have the umming issue with my videos :P but i guess after you practice it a bit and do a little prep before hand it all comes out pretty smoothly!
I'll try to update a couple of my thumbnails, I only recently started making custom thumbnails for my videos and sometimes if the ones provided by youtube pretty much speak for themselves I just leave them be so for example my N7 helmet and raiden mask thumbnails are of the actual finished prop and so I thought that really said enough about the video, but perhaps I should just not be so lazy and make a custom one every time :P

Thanks again![DOUBLEPOST=1401783856,1401762376][/DOUBLEPOST]thanks to you i finally made myself a thumbnail template :P i changed some of my thumnails, id love to get your opinion on some of the new ones when you have time!

if you revise anything on your channel feel free to ask me to check it out again for you :)
 
Based on the trailer video


1) Channel Art is awesome! Comic book style with video game stuff is a great mix.
2) Audio Quality is great. No discernible noise, vocal volume to game volume is great as well.
3) Video Quality is also great, but could be edited down a bit.
4) Commentary was normal. Just reading the dialogue and saying what is happening.
5) Thumbnails are nice. There's a consistent marking scheme on them with variety on the background.

My main gripe with your camera is that it's too compact and zoomed out. I'd prefer it if it was zoomed in on you more and not the background of your room / cave.
 
Back
Top