Douglas MacKrell
The Internet's Foremost Sexpro
I appreciate that everyone is quick to rally behind the community and proclaim their interest in making videos comes first and foremost from the audience they serve.
But what's weird and unnerving are these altruistic posts that seemingly push money out of the YT equation as if it were some deep sin and that "only the just" make videos for "nothing but the smiles upon the faces of the masses."
I'm not ashamed to say that one of the reasons I make my show is for money. I'm seeking every day to make better content that reaches a larger audience and gain more fans and more clout - which I can then parlay into something larger for an established entity. I am seeking to make money off of making videos, webisodes, and shorts. To build and grow as a content creator until I'm making a return on my investment.
But that doesn't mean that I don't love my show or pour my best into everything I do with a goal of getting better at it. It doesn't mean that I'm exploiting my audience for views and subs and don't give a damn about them.
If I can get more views that means more money I can reinvest in my product in order to make a better product that attracts more people.
I posted this article here because I see it as a possible future. One where the ad revenue dries up and the self made stars - whose livelihood DEPENDS on YT suddenly have to figure out new and innovative ways to continue. Weather that means working harder for more hours to make the same money or if it means closing up shop and hitching their wagon to someone else's caravan - either way it doesn't sound like good or stable news for them.
It means that networks like Nerdist and MyDamnChannel have less money to fund original webseries. Which means less opportunity for up and coming talent - and a LOT less risk taken on unproven IPs.
It also means bad news for the smaller networks and partnerships whose money nearly all comes from that revenue. If they're not making enough, they'll either take on as many new channels as they can until they're a watered down mess or they'll close up all together. I've seen a lot of web entities close up shop without a word and slip out with whatever money they have left for themselves.
I'm not preaching doom and gloom here - I've got all the hope in the world in YT, it's community, and my own work... I'm just saying that the weatherman said it might rain, and it'd be foolish to ignore him and not bring an umbrella.
But what's weird and unnerving are these altruistic posts that seemingly push money out of the YT equation as if it were some deep sin and that "only the just" make videos for "nothing but the smiles upon the faces of the masses."
I'm not ashamed to say that one of the reasons I make my show is for money. I'm seeking every day to make better content that reaches a larger audience and gain more fans and more clout - which I can then parlay into something larger for an established entity. I am seeking to make money off of making videos, webisodes, and shorts. To build and grow as a content creator until I'm making a return on my investment.
But that doesn't mean that I don't love my show or pour my best into everything I do with a goal of getting better at it. It doesn't mean that I'm exploiting my audience for views and subs and don't give a damn about them.
If I can get more views that means more money I can reinvest in my product in order to make a better product that attracts more people.
I posted this article here because I see it as a possible future. One where the ad revenue dries up and the self made stars - whose livelihood DEPENDS on YT suddenly have to figure out new and innovative ways to continue. Weather that means working harder for more hours to make the same money or if it means closing up shop and hitching their wagon to someone else's caravan - either way it doesn't sound like good or stable news for them.
It means that networks like Nerdist and MyDamnChannel have less money to fund original webseries. Which means less opportunity for up and coming talent - and a LOT less risk taken on unproven IPs.
It also means bad news for the smaller networks and partnerships whose money nearly all comes from that revenue. If they're not making enough, they'll either take on as many new channels as they can until they're a watered down mess or they'll close up all together. I've seen a lot of web entities close up shop without a word and slip out with whatever money they have left for themselves.
I'm not preaching doom and gloom here - I've got all the hope in the world in YT, it's community, and my own work... I'm just saying that the weatherman said it might rain, and it'd be foolish to ignore him and not bring an umbrella.
