How to monitor my own voice?

MrMauriceTL

Random Let's Play Gamer!
Hey guys!

So I notice I get loud sometimes when I record a Gaming video, because of my headphones. So I want to try to listen to my own voice through my headphones while I record. I know you can go to Sound and listen to your mic, but the problem with that is that it's slightly delayed so you talk slower and when I record with Fraps you hear my voice in the recording of the gameplay, that is not something I want.

So, my question, how would I setup my recordings so I can listen to my own voice without having my voice in the gameplay footage? Or do I really need hardware for something like that?

I use the following for recording:

Camtasia for webcam
Audacity for my voice
Fraps for gameplay

Thanks in advance!

Maurice
 
As far as I know, the voice will always be a little bit behind - the computer needs to get the sound, before it can play the sound :) There is a difference in how big the delay is though, but if I remember correctly, Audacity's delay is not very big :P (might be wrong)
In the end, you just need to get used to listening to your delayed voice ;)

ALTERNATIVELY you can compress your voice in Audacity, so that loud parts of your voice will be lowered, making your voice less varying in loudness :)
 
Thanks for the quick respond SEMilfred! Yeah, I need to get used to it. Might try Audacity and see how big that delay is!

And yeah, that is possible too, but also more work haha. But yeah, if there's a video where I am loud because of a jumpscare or something, I just compress my voice either way ;)
 
Fraps will pick up pretty much any sound from your system o.o so even if your playback was coming through without delay you'd probably have a loop issue.

If you want a cheap solution and you've got a second monitor just keep audacity up and try to check your peaks and troughs or only wear one ear cup. (not ideal for horror but saves money)

otherwise id buy hardware, a mic or a headset with built in playback, i'm sure there are relatively well priced options out there. Wish i could give you suggestions but i haven't exactly researched it XD

Id look at any software solutions before looking at hardware, probably cheaper but for hardware unless you wanna buy a new mic your probably looking for a soundboard type deal :p
 
Fraps will pick up pretty much any sound from your system o.o so even if your playback was coming through without delay you'd probably have a loop issue.

If you want a cheap solution and you've got a second monitor just keep audacity up and try to check your peaks and troughs or only wear one ear cup.

otherwise id buy hardware, a mic or a headset with built in playback, i'm sure there are relatively well priced options out there. Wish i could give you suggestions but i haven't exactly researched it XD

Id look at any software solutions before looking at hardware, probably cheaper but for hardware unless you wanna buy a new mic your probably looking for a soundboard type deal :p

Thank you, yeah it's going to loop unfortunately. And I am not really planning on spending a lot of money on it by buying hardware, but unfortunately that must be the only solution. Just edit my voice afterwards sounds like the only soluation so far, but thanks for the quick response!
 
Thank you, yeah it's going to loop unfortunately. And I am not really planning on spending a lot of money on it by buying hardware, but unfortunately that must be the only solution. Just edit my voice afterwards sounds like the only soluation so far, but thanks for the quick response!

i took a look at your videos the sound compression sounds fine for now ;)
 
Back
Top