How Do You Plan?

Personally I found if I write a script I tend to start hating the idea all together and don't end up filming it. I find it's better when I just wing it. I keep the camera rolling and just keep talking and when I edit, I just edit out all the bits where I go completely blank trying to think of what to say.

Right now I have 2 videos on my channel, and I shot them both on the same day within an hour. I uploaded them a week apart though because I wasn't sure when I'd get time to shoot the next video. Today I got some free time, so I so far have shot 2 more videos, and am halfway shooting the third (camera went flat). I plan to upload one next week, another the week after and so on.

However going back to scripts, the video I'm shooting now has a script, but this is only because it's a different style to my usual.
 
I try not to wing it, because my videos end up pointless and chaotic. I keep a video journal handy for when I get ideas so I can write them down quick before I forget them. Usually ideas come to me when I'm not in front of the camera lol. So I have to be ready to write stuff down. From those ideas I make up an outline. I try not to write a strict script because then my videos end up being too stiff and fake. So I guess its all about balance for me? Not too formal, but not too informal. What sometimes happens is I'll start out with my general idea and outline and then I'll end up saying and doing stuff that I didn't plan on, which always ends up being the best parts of my videos.
 
I try not to wing it, because my videos end up pointless and chaotic. I keep a video journal handy for when I get ideas so I can write them down quick before I forget them. Usually ideas come to me when I'm not in front of the camera lol. So I have to be ready to write stuff down. From those ideas I make up an outline. I try not to write a strict script because then my videos end up being too stiff and fake. So I guess its all about balance for me? Not too formal, but not too informal. What sometimes happens is I'll start out with my general idea and outline and then I'll end up saying and doing stuff that I didn't plan on, which always ends up being the best parts of my videos.
Thats how I did my first vlog. For a few days I worked on a idea planner where I wrote down all my ideas and the status of their development. I finally got around to writing a script for the vlog. I got in front of the camera and omitted some of the stuff from the script and did some pretty random and crazy stuff during filming. That way I was a little more animated during the video
 
I wildly scribble down notes in the middle of the night as inspiration strikes! That may be embellished a bit. As for other planning, I kinda think during the week, MAYBE typing a script to use. Other than that, almost no planning goes into my videos. It is probably why they are bad...hm...
 
my planning are quite basic. i basically find an artist that I like, take a picture and paint and record everything. edit and stuff and upload.
there are some episodes where I talk, basically i have a little think about what I'm going to talk about and go with it. If i am talking over a video I would write it down and say it.
 
Is there anyone here who goes into a recording with a script, but ends up scrapping it and doing something totally different?
 
I usually come up with an idea and let it marinate for a few days to a few weeks. Sometimes a spark will be so bright that I write a whole video in less than an hour. A lot of jokes/ideas hit me while I'm in the shower.

I typically write a script, print it, learn it, and film it. I usually do multiple takes for each shot. I'll usually start editing as soon as filming is complete.
 
I keep a list of ideas, but honestly, I rarely end up using them. I find that if an idea sits too long, I either end up hating it, or I can't figure out how to make it work, or it ends up just not being timely.

So usually as soon as I'm done uploading a video, I start just mulling over general themes for the next one. Then I sit down and script out the full thing - usually it's split out like a poem in 4-6-line stanzas, because that's about what I can manage between jump cuts. If there's some physical shtick that fits, sometimes I'll write that in, and sometimes I'll just improvise it while shooting.

Then it's straight to shooting, then straight to edit, then straight to upload. I find that it leaves me able to make a video about something that's just gone viral, and doesn't give me enough time to second-guess my stuff and throw it away (though on occasion, I've thrown something out after shooting and then panicked and hastily written something else). I think most media now has to be relevant to what's "new", so long-term planning can only go so far.
 
Back
Top