Do you think smaller Youtubers should make only short videos?

Nope! Just make lots and lots of good videos.. Others want long videos too and don't want cut videos while others want it in cuts ao maybe you can upload one whole or one part! :)
 
I am personally getting a gaming channel all set up very soon once I have everything set up and I myself am going to be releasing rather short videos or small episodes of different games.
I was going to start a gaming channel soon also. I think I'll start two identical channels with the same videos uploaded, but one that has 10-15 minute videos with less editing (for example), and the other that edits it down to just the absolutely most interesting parts and keeps it under 5 minutes. My sneaking suspicion is that the 5 minute videos will do better.

I should actually follow through with something I say this time rather than just make a sandwich and watch Netflix. :-/[DOUBLEPOST=1453392839,1453392623][/DOUBLEPOST]
The more I read on here the more I see people who complain about only having 100 subs and youtubes rankings ect...
It's okay for people to have different motivations for doing Youtube. If someone told us they were doing Youtube strictly for the money, who are we to judge, no? You can still enjoy something even if you take the numbers seriously and cater to a target demographic.

I understand where you're coming from though, as I have a part time photography business and I do sometimes think it cheapens my work that I am getting paid money for it rather than doing it for my own enjoyment. I honestly do enjoy just taking photos and sharing them without concern for money. But I still enjoy doing that part time more than I would working retail (for example).
 
I was going to start a gaming channel soon also. I think I'll start two identical channels with the same videos uploaded, but one that has 10-15 minute videos with less editing (for example), and the other that edits it down to just the absolutely most interesting parts and keeps it under 5 minutes. My sneaking suspicion is that the 5 minute videos will do better.

Rather than setting up a new channel just for those certain types of videos why not create a series on your channel with the 5 minute shorts and upload your regular content aswell. I think having 2 different accounts would cause problems and issues with you and your subs, I mean why have 200 subs on 1 channel and 459 on the other when you could have them BOTH subbed to the one channel?
 
In my opinion, more important than the length of your videos, is that if you've enjoyed making them. If you don't enjoy something you're doing, there's no point in doing it.
 
Rather than setting up a new channel just for those certain types of videos why not create a series on your channel with the 5 minute shorts and upload your regular content aswell. I think having 2 different accounts would cause problems and issues with you and your subs, I mean why have 200 subs on 1 channel and 459 on the other when you could have them BOTH subbed to the one channel?

Well, for the sake of experimentation. Simply to see the rate of growth between a gaming channel uploading longer videos vs shorter ones. If I have them all on the same channel, then one video might spur growth of the channel if it got noticed and picked up by the suggested video algorithm. It could skew the results. Granted, there are other factors at work that could skew the results, not the least of which is whether the longer content will be less interesting because there are less compelling clips (vs a more edited down version of the video that could theoretically be packed with only highlights), but I'm still curious to see. Even 5 minute videos vs 10 minute videos would be interesting. I wouldn't tell my subs about the alt channel, but rather just treat it like just another channel. Some would catch on but Youtube is big enough that subs of one might not even see the videos from the other until after enough data has been collected to draw a valid conclusion.
 
I do believe that having a larger following will generally cause your audience to be a little more lenient with your video lengths - I guess it's because you have more people interested in what you have to say!

But on the whole, I'd say that shorter videos are the way forward for everyone, simply because our attention spans are pants!
 
I do believe that having a larger following will generally cause your audience to be a little more lenient with your video lengths - I guess it's because you have more people interested in what you have to say!
Well, I also believe that when people see a channel that has a few hundred thousand subs, they subconsciously conclude that their videos must hold some value. That predisposition alone is often enough to cause even new viewers to watch longer videos. Same thing for videos that have already amassed a lot of views. A video with a lot of views and a great like/dislike ratio will definitely have brand new viewers giving longer videos a chance. Whether people like to admit it or not, I believe it's a subconscious thing.
 
I think doing mostly short videos is a good idea to real people in, and then kind of scatter in longer videos for the people who really like you and want to see more :)
 
Back
Top