Can you DOWNSIZE videos from 1080p to 720p?

Yeah but their problem was editing in 1080P causes problems. Even if they open it in 720P it still has to process and downscale from 1080P. They're better off just recording and editing in 720P. Similar goes for exporting a 1080p file into 720P it will take a little longer due to downscaling.

I also should have asked what the PC specs were and what software was being used. Because if it's Premiere, you usually need a CUDA hack if you're using an Nvidia Card that's below the x70 series. Even then, it doesn't utilise CUDA properly.

Exactly. It doesn't matter what Premiere resizes it as if the MP4 file itself is 1080p. I needed to covert the 1080p video to 720p and I was able to do that with Handbrake.

I don't know anything about CUDA or cards or any computer spec stuff. My computer is a HP pavilion dv6. It can edit in 1080p but it just takes a lot longer than it should and its frustrating because I have to wait for the preview screen to catchup to where I am on my timeline. That slight delay is a killer when editing. I make about 50-80 different cuts so I can't afford to have it lag.
 
Exactly. It doesn't matter what Premiere resizes it as if the MP4 file itself is 1080p. I needed to covert the 1080p video to 720p and I was able to do that with Handbrake.

I don't know anything about CUDA or cards or any computer spec stuff. My computer is a HP pavilion dv6. It can edit in 1080p but it just takes a lot longer than it should and its frustrating because I have to wait for the preview screen to catchup to where I am on my timeline. That slight delay is a killer when editing. I make about 50-80 different cuts so I can't afford to have it lag.
Look it up. Or search your computer for a file named "cuda_supported_cards.txt" and just rename it. But if it's a DV6 and purchased around 1-3 years ago it's most likely using an AMD/ATI card, if so CUDA doesn't work for it.
 
Most video editors have a setting where you halve the resolution being previewed so it doesn't take as much processing power to play when showing the editing preview. In Premiere Pro, this is just below the preview, it's called preview resolution or something, and you can pick Full, 1/2, 1/4, etc. Look for something like that, because it might mean you can still edit the 1080p video without having to transcode it first. Then you can just export at whatever resolution you want.
 
Back
Top