An honest letter to YouTubers:

Some people don't put in enough effort, some people are dumb (as in not doing what's required to get views), and some people are too rosy. Last year I made 5 figures, so it's indeed possible.
 
Seriously, you can't talk someone out of a dream. It's like dreaming of playing in the NBA, NFL, or wanting to be President here in the US. I think everyone should go for their dreams and do what they can to make there dreams happen. Sure, tell them of the reality of the situation or how hard it is but that's all you can do. Actually, telling me I'm not going to make it, or I'm wasting my time just makes me want to prove naysayers wrong. In my head I'm thinking "just because you didn't make it doesn't mean I won't". However, everyone needs a back up plan. My Father told me I could do ANYTHING and so did my mother. They believed it and I believe them. They also told me that sh*t happens so go to college and learn how to do something useful. lol There is never a shortage of people telling other people what they can't do and my parents didn't feel the need to pile on. My advice is below.

Summary
  • Go for your dreams with everything you have!
  • Have a back up plan just in case it doesn't happen or happen as quickly as you would like, college, training, etc and make sure your back up plan is also something you also enjoy doing
  • Don't let others shape your decisions on what you can and can not do life
 
If you think you're going to make an impact with that blog post, you're sorely mistaken. I see your point, and it can indeed get a bit annoying, but these are the things we face on the internet. It's called a false sense of entitlement, and it's the one thing on the internet that frustrates me more than anything else. All we can do is learn to live with it, because it isn't going away any time soon.

No, I don't think I'm going to make any sort of impact with this blog post on those who feel self-entitled. They usually don't even realize they're doing it. What I was hoping to do was start a thread on this forum discussing the problem with all the spammers and the self entitled.

This is developing talent, simple as that. If 1 out of every 100 kids that try this out stick to it and develop their skills and move on to getting a career in editing, gfx or whatever, then it's worth it. At the end of the day these are kids. They have no bills, no mouths to feed, and they're all looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. When they realise it doesn't exist, they move on to something else.

You're missing the point. I'm not challenging the kids who want to work for it. I think that's great. I'm challenging the ones who expect the rest of us to do it for them.

An amazing video! Thanks for sharing this!


What video? LOL

If someone gives YouTube a 'shot', they'll most likely flail. If they give it an effort like nothing else they've done and eat and breathe this stuff on how to be successful, they'll make it. If their niche doesn't work for them, try another and another, and multiples at the same time, see what makes some people succeed and others flounder, and you'll figure it out.


But those aren't the people we're talking about.

And even so, Jenna Marbles didn't get a ba-jillion views because of how hard she worked on her content and how excellent her videos are. Let's get serious. Nicki Minaj didn't get on the radio because of what a talented performer she is. Success at that level is the result of luck and popularity, not skill.

We all know a s**t-ton of YouTubers with tremendous talent and skill to showcase that have less than 30,000 subs.[DOUBLEPOST=1377094275,1377093998][/DOUBLEPOST]
Some people don't put in enough effort, some people are dumb (as in not doing what's required to get views), and some people are too rosy. Last year I made 5 figures, so it's indeed possible.


5 figures represents a pretty broad range of possibilities, everything from 10,000 to 99,000. Some of those numbers represent a more comfortable living than others.

I am suspecting that many of you are simply viewing me as a crusher of children's dreams without actually reading the article I wrote, or really putting into context my message.

Clearly I worked hard over the past 4-5 months to get my 500+ subs and create ~48 videos. I'm not trying to say, "Don't work on building a following on YouTube because no one makes it." What I'm trying to say is, "Don't make fame and fortune your primary goals because you're missing the point."

Seriously, you can't talk someone out of a dream. It's like dreaming of playing in the NBA, NFL, or wanting to be President here in the US. I think everyone should go for their dreams and do what they can to make there dreams happen. Sure, tell them of the reality of the situation or how hard it is but that's all you can do. Actually, telling me I'm not going to make it, or I'm wasting my time just makes me want to prove naysayers wrong. In my head I'm thinking "just because you didn't make it doesn't mean I won't". However, everyone needs a back up plan. My Father told me I could do ANYTHING and so did my mother. They believed it and I believe them. They also told me that sh*t happens so go to college and learn how to do something useful. lol There is never a shortage of people telling other people what they can't do and my parents didn't feel the need to pile on. My advice is below.

Summary
  • Go for your dreams with everything you have!
  • Have a back up plan just in case it doesn't happen or happen as quickly as you would like, college, training, etc and make sure your back up plan is also something you also enjoy doing
  • Don't let others shape your decisions on what you can and can not do life

All good advice. But again, similar to what I'm saying above. I'm not saying don't pursue your dreams. What I'm saying is work at them, but enjoy the process and have fun doing it.

Don't produce 2-3 s****y videos on your channel with 12 subs then go around spamming videos, flooding inboxes, asking for shout outs and sub4sub, etc. in order to try to 'make it'. We're literally talking about a kid who expects to get 2M subs in the next couple years without working for it. And that's the distinction that I'm trying to make. And so was KGATV in his video.
 
I think people just dont see the youtube career thing as a whole. They see it as an easy way to make money.
Sure, you can make money off videos through ad revenue, but can you make enough to pay the bills and support your family? You need to receive an immense amount of views in order to live on it.
Not only that, but you're also putting yourself in front of the publics eyes.
There's so many youtubers that receive death threats just for making content and being successful.
There has also been youtubers who's safety and their families have been put at risk.
For Ex:
KatersOneSeventeen. She had to move because someone located where she live, broke into her car and threatened to harm her. She had to move because of it and planed on quitting.
WoodysGamertag. A SWAT or Police Squad was about to raid his house as someone called saying he murdered his family and with other wild accusations.

Honestly, while it would be nice to earn enough to support my family. It's something I am not really aiming towards due to how emotionally and mentally you have to be prepared.
And as you discussed in your blog, it's not something that is really secure and we dont know when youtubes time will end.
 
I think people just dont see the youtube career thing as a whole. They see it as an easy way to make money.
Sure, you can make money off videos through ad revenue, but can you make enough to pay the bills and support your family? You need to receive an immense amount of views in order to live on it.
Not only that, but you're also putting yourself in front of the publics eyes.
There's so many youtubers that receive death threats just for making content and being successful.
There has also been youtubers who's safety and their families have been put at risk.
For Ex:
KatersOneSeventeen. She had to move because someone located where she live, broke into her car and threatened to harm her. She had to move because of it and planed on quitting.
WoodysGamertag. A SWAT or Police Squad was about to raid his house as someone called saying he murdered his family and with other wild accusations.

Honestly, while it would be nice to earn enough to support my family. It's something I am not really aiming towards due to how emotionally and mentally you have to be prepared.
And as you discussed in your blog, it's not something that is really secure and we dont know when youtubes time will end.


Those are all great points.

I wasn't trying to say on my blog that trying to build a successful YouTube channel and earn money through creating content is bad. All I was trying to say is that people who want to make videos for no other reason than pursuing fame and fortune need to have their heads examined.
 
"We all know a s**t-ton of YouTubers with tremendous talent and skill to showcase that have less than 30,000 subs."

Or you could play your cards smartly, have half that number of subs and be will into the six figures. There's a lot of ways to skin this YouTube cat. Or you could spend your time chasing the cats.
 
"We all know a s**t-ton of YouTubers with tremendous talent and skill to showcase that have less than 30,000 subs."

Or you could play your cards smartly, have half that number of subs and be will into the six figures. There's a lot of ways to skin this YouTube cat. Or you could spend your time chasing the cats.


I have no idea what that means. LOL

Even if you uploaded 10 new videos per month, and each of your 30,000 subs watched those videos 10x each, a total of 3 million views, you would be nowhere anywhere near six figures. You'd be lucky to break $5-7k/month in ad revenue, probably less. Not sure how you're doing the math.
 
Brent, you're looking at a subscriber-based model, which is my point. I have several channels but the one listed here you can view, check the stats, I have just 16,000 subs, only about 90 videos on this channel (not all of them are even monetized) and I'm well into the six figure income level with it. I have some single videos that make over two hundred dollars a day. I think it's safe to say that my mere 16,000 subs are not watching my videos over and over and over and over, 6.5 million times a month. I only say this that there are other ways to make $$ on YouTube but people are *always* stuck on the subscriber model. That's how they do their math. Subscribers does not = views. I know channels that have hundreds and hundreds of thousands of subscribers that are 'household' names that don't bring in nearly a six-figure income from Adsense. You don't get rich off subscribers, you get rich off monetized views. The vast majority of channel subscribers aren't even watching the videos to the channels they're subscribed to. The view numbers reflect this. Spend some time on Socialblade analytics, looking up channels, seeing who's getting how many views.
 
Brent, you're looking at a subscriber-based model, which is my point. I have several channels but the one listed here you can view, check the stats, I have just 16,000 subs, only about 90 videos on this channel (not all of them are even monetized) and I'm well into the six figure income level with it. I have some single videos that make over two hundred dollars a day. I think it's safe to say that my mere 16,000 subs are not watching my videos over and over and over and over, 6.5 million times a month. I only say this that there are other ways to make $$ on YouTube but people are *always* stuck on the subscriber model. That's how they do their math. Subscribers does not = views. I know channels that have hundreds and hundreds of thousands of subscribers that are 'household' names that don't bring in nearly a six-figure income from Adsense. You don't get rich off subscribers, you get rich off monetized views. The vast majority of channel subscribers aren't even watching the videos to the channels they're subscribed to. The view numbers reflect this. Spend some time on Socialblade analytics, looking up channels, seeing who's getting how many views.


This much is true. OlgaKay, for example has approx 400k subscribers but I worked out that she earns from her main channel about $40k a year (granted she has like 5 channels, so likely she gets six digits overall with merchandise included, but just going by one channel...)
 
Back
Top